house is a programming initiative delivered by Farnham Maltings and funded by Arts Council England designed to reinvigorate the theatre ecology of East and South East England. Our ambition is to make the most of the best contemporary theatre being produced, with the aim of improve the range, quality and audience for contemporary theatre across the region. We work with over 150 venues to build and sustain their audiences by; identifying work and underwriting fees, creating opportunities to learn and share ideas, collating and making available information about the region’s venues and testing new ways of ensuring the ambitions of artists meet those of audiences.
The award is to remake and tour an existing production of contemporary theatre that is suitable for touring on the small to mid-scale for single night engagements. We will invest resources and support into a piece of work that has already been successfully produced and presented.
We are looking for a production originally created in 2011 or earlier, with a cast of at least three, that must be scalable to fit an array of venues. The work will need to demonstrate it was successfully received on its original outing.
We would like to see the production presented in autumn 2015. We are looking for an idea that would not be possible without this investment, but have no view on the content or length of the finished piece.
The commission is for a maximum of £25,000, broken down as follows:
- £10,000 to cover the costs associated in remounting the production
- Up to £15,000 for touring costs: house will book and support an initial tour to up to 15 venues across the South East. This is to cover the touring fees, accommodation, travel and any other associated costs. house will negotiate and retain the box office split income.
It may be that a company will bring additional resources and income to the retour, such as sponsorship, or other funding. This will not inform the decision but the company will need to demonstrate at a later stage that the project is financially viable.
In addition to our financial investment we will offer contacts, advice, specialist intelligence, and equipment, where we can. The call is open to national and international artists (no additional investment is available for the associated costs of international travel).
- An open call for a one-page declaration of interest from companies with a proven track record describing who, what and why they want to remount a particular production. This should be accompanied by a one page of a summary of reviews and feedback.
Please don’t send more than two pages in total, as additional content will not be read.
Closing date: 2pm, Thursday 25th September, 2014
Applications should be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- From these a shortlist will be selected by a panel of venue programmers, and companies will be asked to produce a more detailed proposal to include a longer description of the production history, artist biographies, a budget, details of any other sources of income, recent artistic experiences, and any further feedback.
Shortlisted companies will be contacted week beginning Monday 6th October 2014.
Deadline: Friday 24th October, 2014
- 3-5 companies from the shortlist will be invited to interview.
Interviews will be held at Farnham Maltings in early November
If you have any additional queries please contact Katie Williams on 01252 745424 or email email@example.com