Who we are
house is a venue network and touring initiative based in the South East of England. It is delivered by Farnham Maltings with support from Arts Council England and an advisory group of venue leaders, programmers and producers from the region. It was established in 2012.
house supports venues to improve the range, quality and scale of theatre presented across South East England and exists to build the audience for contemporary theatre across the region. It does this by supporting venues and artists to develop audiences and by helping to create a long-term infrastructure for touring.
We do this by:
- Touring high-quality contemporary theatre to a network of venues across South East and East England
- Organising network days, seminars and training for venue staff
- Subsidising professional and programming development for venue staff
- Offering subsidised training, networking opportunities and sharing for artists and companies
- Seed-funding creative projects and connecting the ambitions of theatre-makers, venues and audiences
- Advocating for and co-ordinating network-wide initiatives around common goals like access, internships etc
- Providing resources, conversations and tips
- Experimenting with touring models in order to build a sustainable future for touring performing arts work
We believe that:
- The theatre sector needs to evolve and adapt to meet new challenges of a constantly changing world.
- Generosity and sharing of resources will lead to a more productive, healthier arts sector.
- Venues in close proximity should, wherever possible, communicate and share knowledge rather than compete.
- Venues and artists need to think and operate inclusively.
- Venues and artists need to know and plan ambitions for audience and programme to succeed.
- Programmers need to see work both in their own venue and elsewhere.
- Programming and marketing are inextricably linked.
- The world can change over a cup of tea and investing time and energy into network relationships will make each of our tasks simpler.
To find out how you can get involved in the network, please contact Mark Makin at email@example.com
The shows that tour through house have all been seen in full production by a member of the team, advisory group or trusted partner and come highly recommended. If you’re interested in inviting house to see your show for potential touring, please send the details to firstname.lastname@example.org.
While we endeavour to see most work, we would ask that you write to us a few months in advance of the performance to avoid disappointment.
Throughout the year, we welcome artists and venues to engage with house through training, network events, festival trips and more. Check the website and Twitter regularly for details and opportunities in the industry.
Access and inclusion
We believe that creativity helps us make sense of the world, bring people together and has the potential to articulate new ideas. By encouraging people to participate in the arts, as audience and makers, we will foster a healthier, happier and safer contemporary Britain. These are the steps house takes to ensure the culture of touring is sustainable and ever-growing in relation to access and inclusion
Delivery and partners
Farnham Maltings is a creative organisation and venue in Surrey that works with the artists and communities to encourage the greatest number of people to make, see and enjoy the best art possible. Farnham Maltings delivers house, as well as other initiatives, to encourage, develop and support artists and audiences.
We are supported by an advisory group of venue leaders, programmers and producers from the region.
Farnham Maltings is funded by Arts Council England to deliver a vibrant theatre development programme, including:
- rural touring
We are grateful for the investment we receive as a National Portfolio Organisation.