Founded in 1992, Ridiculusmus produces unconventional, innovative and accessible theatre. Work is written, created and performed by David Woods & Jon Hough.
Ridiculusmus makes work that is ‘seriously funny’. The Company’s work has been called physical theatre, political theatre, avante garde theatre, dadaist, realist, anarchic, comedy, depressing, a failure, a success – the company’s work is all of these things.
Ridiculusmus’ work has always been the expression of the Company’s artistic urges at the time rather than being the pursuit of any particular agenda. Though individual pieces often offer particular provocations or philosophies. Ridiculusmus’ working method is more about creating the nothingness where expression can take place.
Ridiculusmus are inspired by Samuel Becketts’ last words on theatre:
‘To find a form that accommodates the mess, that is the task of the artist now’.
- Nominated for International Melbourne Comedy Festival Barry, 2004
- Winners (with the Barbican) of the Peter Brook Open Space award 2003.
- Nominated for International Melbourne Comedy Festival Barry, 2002
- Winners of the Time Out Live Award 2001
- Winners of Adelaide Fringe Award 2000
- Winners of Total Theatre Award for Best British Productions 1999
- Winners of Herald Angel Award for Innovation 1999
- Nominated Granada Media Writing Award, 1999